At St. Peter’s, confirmation is a 2-year time of study and exploration of faith for 7th and 8th graders, through classes, retreats, and service opportunities. In confirmation, students are strengthened in their faith in order to affirm for themselves the promises of their baptism. In fact, the confirmation rite is actually an affirmation of baptism. After completing the two-year cycle, the students will affirm for themselves the promises made by their parents and sponsors at their baptisms:
• to live with them among God’s faithful people,
• bring them to the word of God and the holy supper,
• teach them the Lord’s Prayer, the Creed, and the Ten Commandments,
• place in their hands the holy scriptures,
• and nature them in faith and prayer,
• so that your children may learn to trust God,
• proclaim Christ the word and deed,
• care for others and the world God made,
• and work for justice and peace.
But this is NOT your parents’ confirmation class! Using an interactive curriculum, our youth learn from games, music, videos, and special guests the basics of faith found in Martin Luther’s Small Catechism. As we explore the Ten Commandments, Apostles’ Creed, Lord’s Prayer, and the Sacraments of Baptism and Communion, our youth learn that the Bible is not just an outdated book of stories but a story about God’s love for them.
Parent / Student / Pastor Covenant
For more information contact Pastor Vanicek.